Griff 500 imatriculation ?

You are an english-speaking person, you want to communicate with french TVR enthousiast, leave a message on the board...

Griffman
Voiture(s) : Griffith 500

Griff 500 imatriculation ?

Message par Griffman »

Hello to all fellow TVR enthusiasts, I live in the Cotes d’Armor not far from St Brieuc.

I have a 1997 Griffith 500 which would like to re-register here in France. I see from previous posts that several owners have been successful in doing this.

I have registered several vehicles here before including a race car transporter, which took ages, but never a TVR. I understand from a posting on this forum that the Griff 500 has a ‘Type Mine: DGC 5P’, does this mean that a C de C is available from the DRIRE or do I still need to go through the whole process again.

Any advice would be most welcome (in French or English).

Bon weekend a tous.

http://www.st-goueno-masters.com
Basa

Re: Griff 500 imatriculation ?

Message par Basa »

Hello,
I am intending to be a "Griffman" too al be it in Spain, not in France. Big question is: is it going to be actually possible to get the Griff through the ITV (MOT in Spain) I worry about things like headlights but also little things like the license plate illumination on the rear end.. I thought that all cars once homologated in 1 european country were automatically homologated in ALL other EU countries. I do not know if this includes/excludes the UK.

With xmas I will be in the UK, looking at some Griffs, hope that I might pick up some information with some dealers and locals. Will keep you posted

Regards,

bas arends
Madrid
Sami
Voiture(s) : Chimaera 400

Re: Griff 500 imatriculation ?

Message par Sami »

Hi Griffman,

I have just about registered my 1999 Chimaera 400 here in France. It took time but generally speaking it is perfectly do-able. Have a good look on this site, you should find lots of info about it.

If your car has an e*11.... number, then in principle it is very simple. What you do is contact your local DRIRE with a "demande d'identification". They then produce an "attestation d'identification" which effectively replaces a Certificate of Conformity and allows you to go directly to your local prefecture to register the car. However, this being France, it all depends on who you land on at the DRIRE. Some DRIREs are better than others. I would recommend that you start with your local one. If it doesn't work, then just go somewhere else. You should send them a very clear letter explaining to them exactly why you are asking for the vehicle to be identified. The alternative is to go there and speak to them. Don't take no for an answer and keep trying, you'll get there eventually.

If you do not have an e*11... number (I do not think you will if it a 1997 car) then you will benefit from the fact that Griffs had the French "homologation" at the time. Normally you just complete the same process. Have a search on this site for the "Type Mine" number applicable to a 1997 Griff.

This is the link to what you need to do according to the Paris DRIRE. You should be able to find similar info for your region. http://www.ile-de-france.drire.gouv.fr/
I have attached an extract of the relevant page (the link doesn't work) and the form I filled in.

There is no magic formula it seems. Everyone has had different experiences but in principle you should be able to get any Griff or Chimaera registered. It is important not to get disheartened and to keep trying. The DRIRE initially responded to my application by sending me an application for an RTI (equivalent to the English Single Vehicle Approval) intended for trucks over 3.5 tonnes! I simply stuck it in an envelope with a cover letter explaining to the person that they had misread my application. I also printed out a copy of their own website listing the documents that needed to be provided and ticked off each one to show the person that I had done everything necessary.

The next letter that came back asked me to provide the EU Certificate of Conformity. Again, I sent the letter back explaining again that I could not get a Certificate of Conformity because TVR had gone bust and there was no representative in France, hence why I was approaching the DRIRE for help using the procedure they put in place for that specific purpose.

That did the trick and in the end they took their heads out of their arses, types a few numbers into their computer and got me their certificate.

Good luck.

Sami